What versions of SPARQL do the various (open source) versions of Virtuoso support?

I’ve been trying to execute some SPARQL on Virtuoso, and one persistent problem I have is knowing what will work with the edition of Virtuoso I have (in my case, the package virtuoso-opensource-6.1 as available in the current version of Ubuntu 20.04 repositories, but note that this question is more general).

Is there any clear list of what each edition of Virtuoso will support? Specifically, can I expect all of SPARQL 1.0? How about 1.1? If not all, which parts should I avoid?

So far I’ve found very little on a quite lengthy search of various forums and the virtuoso documentation. What I have found suggests that existing versions of Virtuoso support some, but maybe not all 1.1 features. Unfortunately the version of Virtuoso required is never specified in the cases I have seen.

Thanks!

Check the Virtuoso SPARQL 1.1 documentation for details on SPARQL 1.1 and other SPARQL extensions supported.

The old Virtuoso 6.1 package was used for old Ubuntu Nepomuk KDE package as I recall and has not been updated by Ubuntu.

We would recommend using the latest Virtuoso 7.2 Open-Source Edition with all the latest SPARQL 1.1 feature etc which can be compiled from its git repository or a prebuilt Generic Linux binary installer is available for installation.

Thanks - So do you mean to say that 7.2 OSE supports the full SPARQL 1.1 specification?

We pretty much support all of SPARQL 1.1 as detailed in documentation and certainly support the BIND call in your previous post.

Thanks. Looks like I will need to look into upgrading.

In general I avoid generic binary installers like the plague. I see a docker image exists, which is better, because encapsulated. Sadly no PPA or snaps seem to exist… I wonder why.

There is a thread about building a .deb package here, but it’s 5 years old at the time of writing…

It’s not clear if the source repository supports building a .deb package, although I see there is a debian subdirectory. This might be my preferred choice, but I think I would follow the path of least resistance.

The path of least resistance is to use the Generic Linux binary installer which is how our products have mainly been provided since the 90’s and we know works on all relevant Linux distros.

You can build from the debian folder as detailed in the documentation which should still work subject to your knowledge and confidence of build such from source.

You are the first person who has requested a PPA repo or Snap app so we do not have such.