iODBC issue with Microsoft Excel (ARM64 / universal excel app)

Hi
i am using iODBC to query data from an MYSQL database. The connections are working properly but when i do get data from Excel i get the message that no ODBC driver is installed (which is not the case).

• Mac version is 11.2.1
  • Excel is the 365 subscription edition
  • Excel Build
/Applications/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64] [arm64]
/Applications/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/Applications/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel (for architecture arm64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64
  • The OBDC connector files are located in /Library/ODBC (all users, not under ~userID/Library/ODBC/)
  • The iODBC version is the last available on iodbc.org website : 3.52.14
  • I have installed MySQL driver 5.03.0013 and MySQL driver 8.00.0022 from mySQL website

thanks to @TallTed the issue is workaround by opening the Excel app with Rosetta (initial post in GitHub )

Here is his detailed solution.

The issue I believe you’re hitting is that Excel is launching as an arm64 a/k/a M1 native application, and it cannot load x86_64 -native libraries, which all of the iODBC and MySQL components are (as of this writing; updates for iODBC and OpenLink drivers are in the works).

You can get around this by going to the Finder, navigating to Microsoft Excel.app , and doing a Get Info on it. In the info box, find the " Open using Rosetta " checkbox, and check it! Now, when you launch Excel, it will run as an x86_64 binary in the Rosetta2 emulator, and it will load x86_64 libraries like iODBC and all the ODBC drivers you’ve installed.

I would be happy to have an update when the when arm64 -native iODBC binaries will be available

Thanks