Encryption-at-rest?

Hello!
The main Virtuoso Open Server page mentions encryption-at-rest as one of the features:

Virtuoso helps you build powerful solutions applications driven by knowledge graphs derived from a variety of life sciences oriented data sources. For super sensitive competitive information it also includes powerful attribute-based access controls and encryption-at-rest amongst if deep collection of data privacy and security functionality.

However I can’t find any mentions about it in the documentation. Which versions offer support for it? How do I enable it?

Virtuoso VAL authentication provides WebID TLS Delegation and OpenID Connect secure certificate based authentication and authorisation to resources in the Virtuoso database, in the latest Release 8.x product.

How does encryption fit into the authentication and authorisation? Does that mean that storage is encrypted by default?

Encryption-at-Rest (EAR) is a Virtuoso 8.3.x commercial edition only feature.

It seems that the Encryption-at-Rest (EAR) is still not available in the 8.3.x commercial release. Last I know is that it might be available with the Virtuoso 8.3 commercial maintenance release. Any updates on that?

Hi ahmadassaf,

We have one more maintenance release to go, before releasing the EAR edition of Virtuoso.
Current ETA is set for December – all things be equal.

Kingsley

Is there any update on this @Kingsley?

This functionality has existed for more than a year, but it isn’t part of our official release just yet, for the following reasons:

1. We have a maintenance release due any moment – it should have been out by now
  2. Final productization re easy of use and cross testing with some 3rd party Key Management Services.

Hopefully, we should be able to start sharing something with you in January.

My apologies for the delay.