How to connect Visual Studio Community 2019 to Virtuoso Datasource

I’m unable to connect Visual Studio Community 2019 to Virtuoso Datasource because the OpenLink Virtuoso Data Source driver doesn’t show up on visual studio as described in the link 2.6. Virtuoso ADO.Net Data Grid Form Application

Hi @de1sage,

Currently, your best route into Virtuoso from Visual Studio (irrespective of version or variant) is via the Microsoft-provided ADO.NET to ODBC Bridge.

Remember, ODBC is one of Virtuoso’s native call level interfaces for Client App & Service interactions.

I hope this helps.

Related

This doesn’t seem to work for the ASP.NET Core variant

@Joshua – I just discovered your latest comment here. Can you provide more details of what you meant by “doesn’t seem to work for the ASP.NET Core variant”? It appears you may be trying to get some ASP running in IIS, connecting to Virtuoso through .NET + ODBC; is that correct?

Specific error messages, as well as details of components (e.g., specific versions, including bitness, of Microsoft .NET-to-ODBC Bridge, MDAC, VS, IIS, ODBC Driver for Virtuoso, etc.) and their configurations (e.g., .NET connection setup, ODBC DSN, etc.) may all provide clues to why things aren’t working for you, so the more you can include, the better.

Hi @TallTed it’s the same issue i’m facing as well @ How to Read and Write to Virtuoso WebDAV. I’m unable to connect to virtuoso in my ASP.NET Core 5.0. Can you share alternative ways i can connect to virtuoso inASP.NET Core project ?

“unable to connect” provides no clues for debugging your connection issue. We’d like to help, but to do so, we need you to be our eyes there.

Are you getting any kind of error message? Please provide complete text!

Please also provide complete version details, including bitness and processor type, for the Windows environment where VS is running. Please provide the same for the Windows environment where IIS is running, if that is different.

Please also provide the complete version details, including bitness and processor type, for both VS and IIS.

Finally, for the basic details, please provide the complete version details, including bitness and processor type, for the ODBC Driver for Virtuoso, and for the Virtuoso server binary.

Probably not relevant for the “unable to connect” issue you describe, I am surprised to see you’re apparently testing the basic connection with a SPARQL-in-SQL query, and a SPARQL-Update at that‽ Initial ODBC testing usually focuses on a more basic SQL READ query — like SELECT * FROM known-table LIMIT 10 or similar — before delving into deeper features.

My immediate hunch is that you’re running into some bitness mismatch — asking a 32-bit component to load a 64-bit library or vice-versa. The following comes from an article focusing on SSIS clients instead of IIS clients, but it’s also relevant to your efforts.